Written by on Friday November 14, 2014
As part of our 2014 celebration of travel blogs we spoke to Steve Newman, writer for Time Spent at Sea to find out more about the site and his favourite cruise destination.
1. When was Time Spent at Sea founded?
The first blog post was on the 12th August 2010.
2. Why did you start the blog?
I didn’t start the blog. It was founded to support the World of Cruising magazine. My first post was in January 2011.
3. What is your favourite thing about travel writing?
Exploring new destinations. It’s such a privilege to be able to tell people about places they want to go to but may never see.
4. What is your favourite cruise destination?
An impossible question to answer as there are so many wonderful places on Earth. If pushed I would have to say Antarctica. All the films and TV programmes one sees can not do it justice. It simply blows you away when you go there.
5. What is on your travel bucket list?
The Galapagos, river cruises on the Mekong, Irrawaddy and Yangtze, Patagonia, Easter Island, New Zealand and to see the Fairy Terns on Bird Island in The Maldives.
6. What would you be doing if you weren’t writing about travel.
I’d still be teaching nine year olds. In a way I still do as I’m often asked to go into schools and give slide shows about my travels.